SITE DESCRIPTION

SITE DESCRIPTION:
"The Soddy Mountain hawk lookout is located in southeast Tennessee on the eastern face of Walden's Ridge (the Cumberland Escarpment) in Hamilton County, a short distance north of the town of Soddy-Daisy, TN. It lies at the eastern terminus of Jones Gap Road atop a bluff overloooking Hwy. 111 and the beautiful Tennessee River Valley to the east. The hawk lookout location is state-owned land, and there are currently no restroom or eating facilities nearby. Hawk watchers are advised to bring their own folding lawn chair, sunscreen, a hat, and drinking water, as well as binoculars and a field guide. Caution should be used at all times, especially if children are present, as there is no fence to prevent a fall off the nearby 75 foot bluff. The hawk lookout proper is level ground." *

No Shelter is available, and parking is on a level below the lookout grounds. The climb to the watch site is up a steep bank about 8' high. Other helpful tools might include an umbrella or spotting scope, although on a good day, you might not find time to use either.*

Courtesy of William G. (Bill) Haley, compiler and author of the brochure, Soddy Mountain Hawk Lookout, produced for TOS.

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk
Falconer Mr. Johnson's Red-tail

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Saturday Numbers as a Front Brings Wind

When Bald Eagles fly close enough to get cell phone pics, it was worth being there to take them...























Here's Bill's report and pics:

"Soddy Mountain, TN hawk report
 Sat., Oct. 5, 2019

Time on lookout: 1400-1715 = 3.25 hrs. 
Counter: Bill Haley 1400-1715
Visitors: Tim & Barb Baldwin 1430-1530
 
Weather report: 1400 Clouds 55%, wind S 10-15, visib. 15K, temp. 83F. 1500 Clouds 45%, temp. 87F. 1600 Clouds 40%, visib. 20K, temp. 89F. 1700 Clouds 30%, wind S 5-10, temp. 88F. 
 
 
Raptors by hour: 
1400: 0
1500: BE (ad.) 1, SS 1
1600: OS 1
1700: 0

 
 BE 1
 OS 1
 SS 1___________
 Total Raptors: 3 

Migrant butterflies:
Monarch 5, Cloudless Sulphur 2

 Photos by Bill Haley
 

















Got a very late start today. A friend gave us a whole bedroom set for our new place: queen size bed w/almost new mattress and boxspring, chest of drawers, dresser and nightstand. My son-in-law Marc owns a big truck and today was the day he and my daughter Mindy could help Candy and I with the move. Between his truck, my truck and our SUV, we managed to get everything moved in one trip. We had to take down a couple of doors in our hallway to get everything in the bedroom, but we finally got it done. So at least I had a good excuse for my tardiness in reaching the lookout.

The wind was very strong from the south, which is not the choice direction for a good hawk flight. At 1430 I was joined by a nice couple, Tim and Barb Baldwin, who have just moved here from Chicago. They are birders, but had never visited a hawk lookout, so it was all new to them. They got directions from the blog, so thanks Cynthia and Jimmy! We had a great time visiting, as I familiarized them with landmarks and we worked on Turkey Vulture vs Black Vulture identifications. (Coming from Chicago, they'd not seen the more southern Black Vulture). Also got good looks at the local Red-tails as they enjoyed kiting in the strong winds - something else they hadn't seen before. The Baldwin's left at 1530, promising they'll be back again. I certainly hope so, as they proved to bring me good luck. (Read on).

Not 2 minutes after they left, I spotted a Sharp-shinned Hawk, which continued on south. My first countable bird of the day. 
(What a Turkey Vulture mimic pose! LOL - CW)

Seven minutes later, an adult Bald Eagle came sailing over the north ridge very low, approaching almost at eye level. I thought to myself, "Why couldn't the Baldwins have stayed just 15 minutes longer?" It actually had to flap several times to gain the altitude to clear the wires to the left of the pole! By far the closest BE this fall. I managed to get some decent shots with my cell phone as it passed. The bird continued south past Big Soddy Creek Gorge, and sailed on down the valley, so I counted it as a migrant.

I was feeling lucky after this, so decided to stay awhile longer. I was rewarded at 1629, as  an Osprey glided high overhead. It never flapped a single time, but rode the cushion of wind deflected off the face of the ridge all the way south.

A few minutes later, I heard the chip notes of some small birds behind me, so I pished a couple of times and a Magnolia Warbler, the first I've seen this fall, jumped up on a branch. I really hope Barb and Tim read this, as I'd just told them a story about a very special Magnolia Warbler that was responsible for me getting my present job. (I hadn't told that story in a long time, so it seemed destined to be.) Thanks to Tim and Barb - my good luck charms today.

Reporting: William G. (Bill) Haley"
..........................................................................
 
Hope this cooler weather makes it easier to
 
KEEP LOOKING UP!!! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment