SITE DESCRIPTION

SITE DESCRIPTION:
"The Soddy Mountain hawk lookout is located in southeast Tennessee on the eastern face of Walden's Ridge (the Cumberland Escarpment) in Hamilton County, a short distance north of the town of Soddy-Daisy, TN. It lies at the eastern terminus of Jones Gap Road atop a bluff overloooking Hwy. 111 and the beautiful Tennessee River Valley to the east. The hawk lookout location is state-owned land, and there are currently no restroom or eating facilities nearby. Hawk watchers are advised to bring their own folding lawn chair, sunscreen, a hat, and drinking water, as well as binoculars and a field guide. Caution should be used at all times, especially if children are present, as there is no fence to prevent a fall off the nearby 75 foot bluff. The hawk lookout proper is level ground." *

No Shelter is available, and parking is on a level below the lookout grounds. The climb to the watch site is up a steep bank about 8' high. Other helpful tools might include an umbrella or spotting scope, although on a good day, you might not find time to use either.*

Courtesy of William G. (Bill) Haley, compiler and author of the brochure, Soddy Mountain Hawk Lookout, produced for TOS.

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk
Falconer Mr. Johnson's Red-tail

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Hot Days, Possibly No Coverage

Bill sent a note inquiring if anyone made it up over the weekend, and to provide some new dates for you to join him.  We want to never forget that even if BW season was not incredible, There are a host of other Hawks to come through this month and next. If you don't know Jimmy's email, and would like to send us a record of having been up, it is tenacbirder@comcast.net . Here's hoping we get a note.

"Jimmy and Cynthia;

Jimmy - I hope you are doing well after your most recent treatment. Cynthia - how are you getting around? I am going to try to get by to see you soon.

I just checked the blog and was hoping to see a report from SOMEONE since I was up there last Friday. I'm disappointed, but not really surprised. 

Unfortunately whenever I age out I figure it'll be the end of Soddy Mountain hawkwatch as we've known it all these years. My "little baby" will become just a footnote in Tennessee ornithological history. A big part of that is this blog, which you've kept so faithfully, and I thank you for all your time and effort. We've experienced some amazing sights over the years.

But I'm not throwing in the towel!!!!

I will be off from this Thursday till I have to go back to work the next Thursday. Some days I have to be elsewhere for at least part of the day, but will man the lookout when I can. Maybe I'll get lucky and catch a very late movement of Broad-wings, but if not, it'll go down as our worst BW season ever.

I promise, you WILL get some more reports and I will see more hawks. After all, we are now moving into MY favorite time.

I'll KEEP LOOKING UP!"

Bill, I checked several times this weekend, hoping. Jimmy and I spent a little time on the deck looking up ourselves.  But at this point we have no weekend hawkwatch reports.  Thanks for the info, and we hope you'll continue to have company at the watch all season.
 
Jiimmy's had a reaction to something on treatment day, but recovered before day's end, yet is weak as usual for a couple days after.  I am walking a lot now with and without my cane, although slowly.  And not for distances. But I'll get there over the next year they said.  Jimmy cannot stand the heat at all these days, or we might have ventured up for an hour or so ourselves if he felt better.  I'm happy to post when you think you will be up. Thanks for the note!
 
C
 
these days it's important in more ways than one to...
 
KEEP LOOKING UP!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment