SITE DESCRIPTION

SITE DESCRIPTION:
"The Soddy Mountain hawk lookout is located in southeast Tennessee on the eastern face of Walden's Ridge (the Cumberland Escarpment) in Hamilton County, a short distance north of the town of Soddy-Daisy, TN. It lies at the eastern terminus of Jones Gap Road atop a bluff overloooking Hwy. 111 and the beautiful Tennessee River Valley to the east. The hawk lookout location is state-owned land, and there are currently no restroom or eating facilities nearby. Hawk watchers are advised to bring their own folding lawn chair, sunscreen, a hat, and drinking water, as well as binoculars and a field guide. Caution should be used at all times, especially if children are present, as there is no fence to prevent a fall off the nearby 75 foot bluff. The hawk lookout proper is level ground." *

No Shelter is available, and parking is on a level below the lookout grounds. The climb to the watch site is up a steep bank about 8' high. Other helpful tools might include an umbrella or spotting scope, although on a good day, you might not find time to use either.*

Courtesy of William G. (Bill) Haley, compiler and author of the brochure, Soddy Mountain Hawk Lookout, produced for TOS.

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk
Falconer Mr. Johnson's Red-tail

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

A Practical WARNING For Hawkwatchers Everywhere!!!

Tuesday, October 6, 2026

I am just going to let Bill's report speak to the very important warning we give to come prepared to watch hawks. I don't think I gave it enough messaging yet this year.  Regardless of your age or health, being prepared with food and especially hydration is a must for sitting in our hot sun on that hill. And then actually consume it.  Here's the story for Tuesday, and Bill's admonishment. Much love to our long time friend, Ruth Ann Henry and a hawk-watch enthusiast who comes every year, but succumbed to the heat. I have been there, myself. The sweat from my entire body just dried up and I felt it. Thankfully, Jimmy and either Bill or Harold (? not sure which) were aware that meant I was about to have a heat stroke. I was prepared, I just got too busy watching hawks and forgot my water.  But for all day, water may not be enough. Something with electrolytes became my go to after that.

Here's the Report:



No comments:

Post a Comment