SITE DESCRIPTION

SITE DESCRIPTION:
"The Soddy Mountain hawk lookout is located in southeast Tennessee on the eastern face of Walden's Ridge (the Cumberland Escarpment) in Hamilton County, a short distance north of the town of Soddy-Daisy, TN. It lies at the eastern terminus of Jones Gap Road atop a bluff overloooking Hwy. 111 and the beautiful Tennessee River Valley to the east. The hawk lookout location is state-owned land, and there are currently no restroom or eating facilities nearby. Hawk watchers are advised to bring their own folding lawn chair, sunscreen, a hat, and drinking water, as well as binoculars and a field guide. Caution should be used at all times, especially if children are present, as there is no fence to prevent a fall off the nearby 75 foot bluff. The hawk lookout proper is level ground." *

No Shelter is available, and parking is on a level below the lookout grounds. The climb to the watch site is up a steep bank about 8' high. Other helpful tools might include an umbrella or spotting scope, although on a good day, you might not find time to use either.*

Courtesy of William G. (Bill) Haley, compiler and author of the brochure, Soddy Mountain Hawk Lookout, produced for TOS.

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk
Falconer Mr. Johnson's Red-tail

Monday, November 26, 2018

Deep Fog On Hawk Watch Hill

Sunday was enchanting at the hawk watch for Bill on Sunday. Not because of the Hawk Count, but be. cause there couldn't be a hawk count.  What we always say, is zero is a number, and being there to know why 0 hawks could be counted is data. NO DATA is STILL DATA.  It's part of the record, even when it's zero.  And keeping the weather data has indications about which we've talked before, like wind and rain and barometer will affect flight.  I have been there once, on a day like Bill's day Sunday, and found it as inspiring as Bill did Sunday.  So when there aren't hawks, being able to collect weather evidence is equally important.

But Speaking of numbers, please note Bill's email where he did what I've been doing, and referenced the stats from the past, and did a comparison to earlier years.  He found for himself how the number play out!  Be sure to read the results at the bottom of the page!

"Soddy Mountain, TN, Sun.
 Nov. 25, 2018
Coverage: 1145-1215= 0.5 hrs.
Counter: Bill Haley
  Raptor Total: 0

Weather: Dense fog. Visibility less than 100 feet. Wind calm. No readings for temp., baro or humidity.
It was foggy in the valley when I got out of church but I decided to drive up to the lookout since it would probably be my last chance in November. Sometimes it can be cloudy down low, but more clear atop the mountains.
Conditions were definitely different at the lookout, the fog was twice as bad. I was truly inside a very dense cloud! From where I always sit, I could faintly see the pole, less than 100 feet away. I couldn't see the house across the road, or the fence around it, which is much closer. I could hear the traffic on Hwy. 111 below me, but I couldn't see it. It was by far the thickest fog I've experienced this year. I gave up after 30 minutes.
I will send some photos.
Reporting: William G. Haley Jr."
 
Let me share Bill's pictures with you ~ beautiful shots!
About 30 - 40 feet away from the pole.
 

View from where I sit, if you look closely you might be able to see the pole.


Grass seed heads were covered in water droplets

This is my favorite, Bill says. A dew-covered funnel web.


Don't Forget to keep looking to the bottom,  Bill's shows where our record stands!!!

Bill comments: I kind of like this shot of tall Indian Grass in front of fog-shrouded pines.
I like it too, Bill.
 

Looking Directly at Sue's House 


Looking over the edge of the bluff. Hey. 111 is right down there...Somewhere.

All the pictures above are by William G. Haley, all rights reserved.
 
 
Jimmy and Cynthia,
"I've been looking through past statistics on the Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch blog, comparing them to this fall. (Seems I like numbers. Who would have thunk it?) You might find them interesting. I looked specifically at Broad-winged Hawk totals and season totals for all 26 years. While nowhere near our top year of 2015,  it turns out 2018 ranks higher than I would have guessed.
Broad-winged Hawk, top totals:
#1. 2015: 8135
#2. 2009: 5242
#3. 2002: 5073
#4. 2012: 4807
#5. 2018: 3643
Season totals, all raptors:
#1. 2015: 8618
#2. 2002: 6748
#3. 2009: 5511
#4. 1995: 5290
#5. 2012: 4905
#6. 2003: 4861
#7. 2018: 4524
It was a bit of a surprise that 2018's BW total was our 5th best out of 26 years! As for season totals, I still hope to add a few more hawks this year, but it is doubtful I'll see enough to move up above 7th best ever.
Bill"
 
As soon as the numbers neared 4500, I knew that we were getting up there.  I like that he went ahead and listed the top numbers out - so easy to see the results as we near the end of season. What difference might 1 month more make? Maybe not much, but a top 5 BW count, and a top 7 all time count, is OK by me.
 
Thanks Bill for all those hours when you dedicated your time to
 
KEEP LOOKING UP!!!
 
Jimmy and Cynthia Wilkerson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment