SITE DESCRIPTION

SITE DESCRIPTION:
"The Soddy Mountain hawk lookout is located in southeast Tennessee on the eastern face of Walden's Ridge (the Cumberland Escarpment) in Hamilton County, a short distance north of the town of Soddy-Daisy, TN. It lies at the eastern terminus of Jones Gap Road atop a bluff overloooking Hwy. 111 and the beautiful Tennessee River Valley to the east. The hawk lookout location is state-owned land, and there are currently no restroom or eating facilities nearby. Hawk watchers are advised to bring their own folding lawn chair, sunscreen, a hat, and drinking water, as well as binoculars and a field guide. Caution should be used at all times, especially if children are present, as there is no fence to prevent a fall off the nearby 75 foot bluff. The hawk lookout proper is level ground." *

No Shelter is available, and parking is on a level below the lookout grounds. The climb to the watch site is up a steep bank about 8' high. Other helpful tools might include an umbrella or spotting scope, although on a good day, you might not find time to use either.*

Courtesy of William G. (Bill) Haley, compiler and author of the brochure, Soddy Mountain Hawk Lookout, produced for TOS.

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk
Falconer Mr. Johnson's Red-tail

Monday, October 31, 2016

Double Day Reports - 28th & 29th

Friday, Oct. 28, 2016

I had an evening program tonight, so I flexed some time this morning and went up to the lookout. I was there from 10:15 to 12:30, so added another 2.25 hours. The wind was very light, E 1-3 eventually changing to NE 2-5. It was mostly clear with clouds forming and within minutes dissolving. Barometric pressure was high, 30.32. It was the murkiest day of the fall, terrible visibility of only 5K. 

I counted one migrant Red-tail and saw 3 of the local (uncountable) Red-tails. 

A little later I spotted what at first I thought was another Red-tail over the brow. Only thing was, it flapped it's wings a few times as it soared. I immediately thought Red - shouldered. Sure enough as it got closer I could make out an orange tinge to the breast. As I watched it a Sharp-shin appeared and dove on it. Then there was another Sharpie there, and it wanted to join the fun. The two small hawks took turns diving at the Red shoulder.  It is highly unlikely I would ever have seen either of them if they hadn't decided to have some sport with the larger bird. They persuaded it to head south a little quicker than it originally wanted to, and they all went at the same time. I was able to see the "windows" near the wingtips of the adult Red shoulder. 

That was it. Total:
Sharp-shin 2
Red - shoulder 1
Red-tail 1

I should be up there tomorrow around 9:00, and will hope for a little more wind. Temperature is supposed to be near record mid - 80's, so it is looking like shorts weather. Crazy at the end of October!

Reporting: Bill Haley
_______________________________________
 
Saturday, Oct.  29, 2016

Arrived at 9:00 and stayed until 4:00. It is almost unbelievable how warm it is at the end of October! I was prepared for Broad-wing season - shorts, t-shirt, wide-brimmed hat, sunblock and plenty of water to drink. Glad I came prepared!
When I checked the weather at 3 pm it was 83F,  so I think we broke the record. Tomorrow will be the same.

It seems a lot of hawks are wondering why they need to come south yet,  as it is still unseasonably warm north of us too. Thank goodness a few have "gotten the memo" and are moving past the lookout.

Barometric pressure started high at 30.30 and ended at 30.16. It was blue sky all day, and while visibility wasn't as
bad as yesterday there was still a hazy layer that helped some distant birds to the north blink out and disappear from view. I never found most of them again.

Hawkwatching involves making a series of  conclusions. When I spotted a soaring distant speck I at first jumped to the conclusion it was lighter colored than a vulture, so must be a hawk, maybe a Red-tail gaining altitude. Then it flapped a few times and I jumped to the conclusion it was possibly a Red-shouldered. As it headed in my direction I was getting a head-on view and I was still thinking Red - shoulder. I was expecting to see windows in the wings, but then as it drew near and I finally got a different angle I noticed the tail was quite long.  Hmmmm - it might be time to jump to a different conclusion. As it passed the lookout, I finally got a great look - it was a large female Cooper's Hawk! I'm happy I followed it all the way from a speck to a solid identification. I always tell my hawkwatchers not to be afraid to make a call, and then don't be afraid to change it as you watch the hawk and receive new data. This is why we follow some hawks we are not sure of as long as we can.

Totals, 10/29/16:
Sharp-shin - 7
Cooper's - 1
Red-tail - 5

Also seen: 216 American Robins (largest flock 57), Cedar Wax wings 34, Monarch butterfly 4, a Wandering Glider dragonfly patrolled the lookout near me all day.

Reporting: Bill Haley
 
________________________________
 
 
Thank You Bill for the hours you have dedicated to this season.  We are getting  a great picture of the Whole Season.
 
Our season totals will reflect much better numbers for Sharpies and Coopers this  year.
 
November can yield some good numbers for Vultures and Red-tails.
 
Let me remind you of the TV filming on November 7.  Hope some of you can come by.
 
And where ever you are:
 
KEEP LOOKING UP!!!
 
Jimmy and Cynthia Wilkerson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment